Thursday, July 29, 2010

I'm Back

I'm finally back. July is always the craziest month for us. Over the past 10 days I have traveled 26 hours. For some that isn't much, but for a person who is only used to a 3 hour car ride for vacation, that's a lot.

It started Wednesday night when I went to my Grandpa and Grandma's house since my family was leaving the next day for Ohio. We go to Steam Threshers each year, but this year BBI and Steam Threshers ran together so I couldn't go =( I stayed at my grandparents until Friday. On Friday I went to my friend's, who I roomed with during BBI. We went to the county fair all day Friday, where I got a nice tan =) and got to see a cow show. Then on Saturday, the real fun began.

We went to a church member's house around 8:00 so we could all go together to BBI. The guys insisted on talking a while and we didn't leave until 8:30. After stopping to fix the luggage rack that was making some noise, we were finally off. There were 5 of us altogether, not including my pastor who came on Sunday. The trip to Pennsylvania was filled with laughter. I didn't know 2 of the people we were with real well, but after this trip I'd say we're a lot closer. We laughed so hard my sides and face hurt. We joked saying that we'd all have great abs by the end of the week. During the trip, we somehow missed an exit because we were all laughing and talking so much we distracted the driver. Oops! We only lost about an hour or two, so it ended up being a 12 hour drive instead of a 10 or 11 hour drive.

Saturday night we stayed at a hotel and went to church the next morning. I fell in love with this church. It was so small and I felt right at home there. After church, we went to a friend's house to eat lunch. We were there until around 4-ish when we left for Elizabethtown College. We decided to take the long way there (and not on purpose either) =) After a supper at Wendy's (a Blue Riverite favorite) we checked into BBI.

For BBI each day our schedule looked like this:
Wake up around 6:00 or 6:30 depending on if we took a shower the night before or not
7:00-8:00 Breakfast
8:10 Chapel (Devotions)
8:40-10:20 Class 1 (Mine was Contemporary Issues, the first day I thought I was going to throw up because we talked about abortion and he showed us pictures after each different procedure. I can't believe someone would kill an innocent child like that or even at all!)
10:30-12:00 Class 2 (Introduction to the Rudiments of Music-he showed us how to direct music and play a pitch pipe for a cappella music)
12:00-1:00 Lunch
1:30-3:00 Class 3 (Introduction to Theology-By far my favorite class, and not just because my pastor taught it.)
3:30-4:30 "Study" time (You were supposed to study and do homework during this time, but some used it to nap. Won't mention any names *ahem*)
4:45-6:00 Supper
6:00-8:00 Recreation (They had volleyball, Ultimate frisbee, softball, etc. going on. I stayed with my church group and we usually played Dutch Blitz and Rummikub)
8:45 Chapel and Small Groups (Small groups is where we prayed for one another and talked about questions asked during the devotions. I was supposed to pray for the guy on my left and I thought he said his name was Leo, but it was Neal. I was so embarrassed, even though he didn't notice. My friend told me the next day =) )
10:15 You had to be on your dorm floor. The married couples and older people were on the first floor, girls on the second, and guys on the third.
10:30 Lights had to be out and no talking

This was our schedule for Monday through most of Friday. It was a lot of fun. Brethren Alive was Friday night through Sunday morning. Brethren Alive is a family event with several sermons, the BRF meeting, and then a concert Saturday night. We had the pleasure of hearing and seeing Garment of Praise. Our pastor talked to them and they might be coming to our church in April! All week it was near 100 F with heat indexes over 100 F. We played a lot of Dutch Blitz in the cafeteria building because it was better air conditioned than the dorm lobby =)

We left shortly after noon on Sunday. Not too soon after we left it started storming. The first storm we had to pull over it was raining so hard, and then it started to hail. The second storm wasn't too bad, but it lightened more than the first. Then the third storm rained hard enough we had to pull over a second time. We would get out of one storm and it would start clearing up and then we would run into another. We got home around midnight. It was so nice to see everyone after 10 days, but I can't wait for next year! How is everyone else's summer going? Prayers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. If you submit your comment as 'anonymous' please sign your name at the bottom of the comment. I love hearing from you! I just ask that you be kind. Remember, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." I don't mind hearing your opinions but please respect others and their opinions.
I try and respond to comments but if I'm busy it may take time. :) Thanks for visiting!

~Esther~