Tuesday, January 18, 2011

College


I’ve recently decided to stay home after high school. Thankfully, I have my parents’ full support, my grandparents’ not so much. My main reason for not to college going was money. There was no way I could afford to go to college and my parents’ can’t afford to send all four of us to college. Then my grandparents offered to pay for college for all of us. It was tempting, but I just don’t feel the calling of further schooling. By the time I spend four years getting my nursing degree and then another couple years in a midwifery school, I’d be into my twenties. I’d rather spend that time at home learning how to be a wife and mother.

What if something happens to your husband and he can’t support you?’ This happened to my grandparents, Grandpa was in a bad semi accident and Grandma had to go to work. She ended up going back to college to get a better paying job, but my thought is ‘I can deal with that when time comes’. I just don’t see the point in spending thousands of dollars on a degree I probably won’t use.

How will you meet your future husband?’ That seems to be a common question for those who decide not to go to college. I’m not sure what makes people think that everyone meets their spouses at college. A little over a hundred years ago, women didn’t go to college and there were still marriages. My parents didn’t meet at college (they met on a blind date) and my grandparents didn’t meet at college (one set met at church).

Public schools are horrible when it comes to college. Everyone is expected to go to college. If you’re not going to college, then you must be headed into the military. They expect you to know what field you want to work in by 8th or 9th grade, so you can center your high school classes on it. The guidance counselors got frustrated with me because I had no idea what I wanted to be or I already knew I was staying home after high school.

What if you don’t marry?’ That’s crossed my mind several times, but I know several people in the church who are single. They support themselves quite well without a college degree.

How will you’re family survive on just one income?’ Well, our family is doing so now. Dad didn’t go to college and he supports us quite nicely. Then I always get the, ‘Well imagine how much better he would be doing if he went to college.’ There’s no way to prove that Dad would have a better position at work just because he went to college. I would rather keep my children (Lord willing) home and school them at home. There is no way I am sending them to a public or private school.

I know a few young ladies who have felt called to go to college, which is just fine. Miss Eden over at Growing in Him, has felt the Lord calling her to be a nurse. I have nothing against that.

I know I’ve posted on this before, but this subject is so important to me. I believe the woman’s place is in the home. Due to the feminist movements in the 60’s and 70’s many women have left the homes for the wrong reasons. Now we are encouraged to compete with men in the workplace, be their bosses, and be the breadwinners of the home. As women we see that making ourselves equal to men is more important than keeping house and raising our children. Instead our children are raised by teachers and workers at the local day care.

I pray that you, dear readers, will follow the Father in your roles as women. If you felt called to go to college by the Father, don’t ignore it. Don’t go to college just to prove yourself equal to men. We each have our God-given roles as man and women, husband and wife, father and mother.

‘…teach the young women to be wise, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, keepers of the home, obedient to their husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.’
 ~Titus 2:4-5~

‘She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.’ ~Proverbs 31:27-28~

2 comments:

  1. Esther,
    You have our full support in whatever you feel God is leading you to do. We know that you will follow His Will for you.
    Love,
    Grandma De and Grandpa Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you, hold on to what you know the Word says :) Sometimes it's hard, the criticism you can recieve, but just know that God is pleased with you and your heart. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. If you submit your comment as 'anonymous' please sign your name at the bottom of the comment. I love hearing from you! I just ask that you be kind. Remember, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." I don't mind hearing your opinions but please respect others and their opinions.
I try and respond to comments but if I'm busy it may take time. :) Thanks for visiting!

~Esther~