Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I Am Preparing

"So, Esther, just what do you do all day?"

This was a question a friend asked me a couple of days ago.  She wasn't being rude, but I was stunned by the question.  What did she mean, 'what did I do all day?'

"Well," I began, "I do schoolwork, help Andrew with his schoolwork, do the laundry, help clean the house, help make supper..."

"Sounds boring," she said.

Another friend was amazed when I told her that I help make supper, occasionally by myself, and that some weeks I plan the meal menu.

To me none of this is boring, though schoolwork can be at times, but it's just something that needs done.  Helping Andrew with schoolwork can try my patience most days, but I still love helping him.  I love to cook and seeing the house all clean, none of this is 'boring'.

The people in my family are homebodies.  We love to stay home and groan if we have stuff going on during the week (unless it involves going to Jo-Ann's =) ).  My friends' families are constantly running from one place to another.  If it's not a sport's practice or game, it's something else. Now, I don't see anything wrong with this, as long as it doesn't interfere with more important things.

To me, all of these things help me to prepare for running my own home one day (Lord willing).  It saddens me to see the girls around me not knowing how to cook a meal or do laundry or do the simple things my brothers help with.  One day they will have families of their own and not have a clue where to start.  Now I'm not saying I know everything about running a home, which I don't, I just feel most girls don't have the least bit of knowledge of how to manage a home of their own.

Why do I do these things?


I strive to become a Proverbs 31 woman.

Titus 2 instructs the older women to teach the younger:

The Father instructs us to be keepers of home, good wives and mothers, in Titus 2:5 and Proverbs 31 gives us plenty of examples of what we are to do.  I believe that the movement of women striving to become better than men has destroyed the yearning to learn the basic necessities of managing a home.  As women, we urge one another to become the breadwinner of the home and make ourselves better than the man in the workplace (this is another subject entirely).

I hope that you, my fellow sisters in Christ, do not stray from our God given roles as women.  We are to prepare to be our husband's helpmeets, good mothers to our children, and keepers of the home.

Now, when asked what I do all day; I can simply say, 'I am preparing.'


3 comments:

  1. I quite agree---there is just no place like home :) Keep up the good work!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! And the JoAnn's part...there's just no place like Joann's, too :D Lol! We just went there yesterday, as well as Hobby Lobby :D Wonderful places!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol...Yes, there's no place like JoAnn's =D

    Prayers,
    Esther

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. If you submit your comment as 'anonymous' please sign your name at the bottom of the comment. I love hearing from you! I just ask that you be kind. Remember, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." I don't mind hearing your opinions but please respect others and their opinions.
I try and respond to comments but if I'm busy it may take time. :) Thanks for visiting!

~Esther~