Saturday, February 26, 2011

How Great Thou Art

February 060

How Great Thou Art is one of my favourite hymns.  Based on a Swedish poem,O Store Gud, by  Carl Gustav Boberg.  This hymn is so full of awe, which is how we should be as we stand in the midst of our Father's majestic Creation.  The last verse is the best of all.  I yearn for the day our Saviour comes to take us from this sinful world and then, 'what joy shall fill my heart'!  What a wonderful day when all the Believers stand in His presence singing praises and proclaiming how great our Father is!


Psalms 8:3   When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained

Psalms 92:5   O LORD, how great are thy works! and thy thoughts are very deep. 

Zechariah 9:17   For how great is his goodness, and how great is his beauty! corn shall make the young men cheerful, and new wine the maids. 

  Hebrews 7:4   Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.
 




Verse 1:
O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made.
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.
Refrain:
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee;
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee:
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Verse 2:
When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze:
(Repeat Refrain.)
Verse 3:
And when I think that God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin:
(Repeat Refrain.)
Verse 4:
When Christ shall come with shouts of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, my God, how great Thou art!
(Repeat Refrain.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. If you submit your comment as 'anonymous' please sign your name at the bottom of the comment. I love hearing from you! I just ask that you be kind. Remember, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." I don't mind hearing your opinions but please respect others and their opinions.
I try and respond to comments but if I'm busy it may take time. :) Thanks for visiting!

~Esther~