Friday, August 10, 2012

Louisa May Alcott Challenge

2012 Summer reading challenge hosted at www.inthebookcase.blogspot.com

I didn't accomplish what I had wanted to with the Louisa May Alcott challenge.  I had hoped to read: 
~Little Women
~Good Wives
~Little Men
~Jo's Boys

I was able to read Little Women and Good Wives and I started on Little Men.  (I ended up being much busier than I had anticipated this summer =) )

I really enjoy reading Little Women/Good Wives.  This is probably the 5th time I've read through them both.  I didn't realize it was two separate books until this challenge =)  When I was looking into what books I wanted to read of Louisa Alcott's, I discovered that there were a total of 4 books in the series! 

~~~~~~~ 

While reading the Little Women series, I related best to Jo.  She's always been my favourite of the March sisters, and probably always will be.  Her stubbornness and strong opinions along with her tomboyish attitude are something I can relate to and remind me of myself. 

Every time I read Little Women, I want to cry when Beth dies.  I know it's coming and I've read it before, but it gets me every time.  I want to cry along with Jo (can you tell I get too involved in these books? =) ).  

I'm really enjoying Little Men.  Though, I'm not far into it, I'm liking it better than the previous two books.  I think Louisa Alcott's writing style is slightly different in this than in Little Women/Good Wives and to me, it's more enjoyable to read.

~~~~~~~

It was refreshing to read Louisa May Alcott's writing this summer.  I love her writing style.  It's different than what I read from most contemporary authors in the respect of the characters and story line.  

This summer/fall, I'm hoping to finally finish the Little Women series and then move on to some of her other works.

~~~~~~~


Thanks Tarissa for hosting this challenge.  I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on LAM's books =)

   

2 comments:

  1. I always identified with Jo too and everyone cries when Beth dies. Like you, I'm not a huge fan of Little Men. I found it a little slow and a lot didactic. Jo's Boys is better, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Esther! I'm so happy to read your final thoughts on the LMA challenge. I love reading a really good book multiple times! This was actually only my 2nd time to read Little Women, surprisingly. I had never read Good Wives before, or any of the other sequels. So as I went through the series this summer, it was basically all new to me!

    I hope you are able to finish Little Men & Jo's Boys soon. When I started reading Little Men myself, I was so taken in by the change in Miss Alcott's writing style---it was different, yet perfect for the book. And, yet again, the style changed for Jo's Boys---yet, it was so perfect.

    My, my... can't wait to read them all over again already!! I'm seriously pondering about hosting this same challenge again next summer, and I'll choose a whole new set of her books to read. I so enjoy her writing, and I'm glad I found some blogging friends to enjoy it with me this summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. If you submit your comment as 'anonymous' please sign your name at the bottom of the comment. I love hearing from you! I just ask that you be kind. Remember, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." I don't mind hearing your opinions but please respect others and their opinions.
I try and respond to comments but if I'm busy it may take time. :) Thanks for visiting!

~Esther~