Friday, September 27, 2013

Stones Trace {2013}

Every September there is a fair nearby that celebrates the pioneers and Indians that lived in this area around 150 years ago.  This year, Grandma, Mom, and I were able to participate.  We were able to demonstrate some of the needle work that the women would have done during the Civil War-era.  Grandma hand quilted, Mom embroidered, and I crocheted.







All day, there are different groups, bands, or individuals who come up and perform for about 20 minutes at a time.  One of my favorites were the cloggers.  They make it look so easy.  


A guy from the 'militia'.  They would raise and lower the flag at opening and closing.  Then sound the cannon at every hour.



This is pretty much a flea market. Anyone who is selling or demonstrating has to be in period correct outfits and live like they would have 150 years ago. 

The tent we were demonstrating in.  On the left is the DAR booth.  Then on the right is where we were demonstrating our needle work.  There were other ladies demonstrating elsewhere, but since we all knew each other they let us sit together :)

Along with my family, there was another lady in the tent making penny rugs.  It was really neat to hear the history behind them



Penny rug demonstrator ;)



Grandma



Mother dearest 
(who is going to kill me for putting this up.  Love you Mom! ;) )


The DAR side of the tent.

Also while we were demonstrating, we had 'apprentices'.  We had 4 middle school girls come over during the two days and their goal was to learn about needlework.  I was able to teach two girls how to crochet (which wasn't as hard as I thought it would be).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. If you submit your comment as 'anonymous' please sign your name at the bottom of the comment. I love hearing from you! I just ask that you be kind. Remember, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." I don't mind hearing your opinions but please respect others and their opinions.
I try and respond to comments but if I'm busy it may take time. :) Thanks for visiting!

~Esther~