Friday, October 25, 2013

Life As of Late

I started my new job about 2 weeks ago at a bakery in a local grocery store. The hours are taking some getting used to, but I really like the job.  Most days I go in at 2am and then get off between 8 and 9.  I've never worked 3rd shift before this, but I can tell already that I like it a lot more than 2nd shift!  My main job right now is frying and glazing the doughnuts.  After I'm done with that, I help to make sure the shelves are stocked with pies, cookies, etc. ;)

{via}

Harvest is starting to slow down a tad here.   I love the smell of harvest.  The earthy smell of the corn, dusty smell of the beans, sweet smell of hay.  This year it really hit me of how privileged I am to be a part of it (not that I do any of the actual harvesting).  When I take my walks in the evening,  I know most of the people who pass me hauling implements or driving the grain trucks or the tractors/combines.  Even if I don't know them, they still wave.  It's the small things. :)  I just can't imagine living in bigger cities, not knowing who my neighbors are or how my food originally started out.

{via}


The past couple of days it's been spitting snow...and rain and sleet (if you want to see all kinds of weather in just one day, you really need to visit the Midwest).  When I left work this morning there was a dusting of snow on my truck.  The trees are changing in stages.  I was kind of disappointed that the colors weren't more vibrant this year.  It seems that two or three kinds of trees will change colors, then a storm will come and blow them all away, then the next round of trees will change. 

I made my first pumpkin recipe of the season last weekend!  I'm trying to sort through all my pumpkin recipes and decide what to make next.  It all sounds so good! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. If you submit your comment as 'anonymous' please sign your name at the bottom of the comment. I love hearing from you! I just ask that you be kind. Remember, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." I don't mind hearing your opinions but please respect others and their opinions.
I try and respond to comments but if I'm busy it may take time. :) Thanks for visiting!

~Esther~